Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Texas Hunger Strikers BIO from UTSA

      

I’m going on this hunger strike because we the students have been fighting for the DREAM ACT for almost a decade now and nothing has been done to help the exemplary students so that they too can make their dreams a realization of getting an university degree and be able to work and contribute to our society. This country was founded on immigrants whether they were legal or not and this is the land of opportunities and where DREAMS come true, yet nothing concrete has been done to help the future of this country, the students, that are some of the brightest students that posses the potential to become one day the doctors, lawyers, Congressmen/women, Senators, Military Generals, Engineers to this great country! These students love this country and this is the only home they really know. These students are Americans and just because they don't have a social security number doesn't make them any less American because a number doesn't define who you are! We are going on a hunger strike so that something concrete gets done. Please help us pass the DREAM ACT!!!! Thank you.
 
-Claudia Sanchez 
Pre-Law, Local Activist, LULAC, Cesar E. Chavez March and Educational Foundation 
San Antonio Tx
       




As I said before, I am more than willing to commit to the Dream Act cause and I have not changed my mind since then. Through the process of pushing this movement, I discovered this cause is for the benefits of everyone. One must help the other. Dream Act students are my community, peers, friends and motivation to continue stretching my efforts to put the Dream Act up to vote. The time is now and I feel that Dream Act students have no better place to be than in the United States. I once read a book called "No One Belongs Here More Than You." Its subject matter is completely irrelevant to today's events, but the book's title perpetuates a key idea. Every one has an equal opportunity to be in a place they want to be.

My mom was not born in the United States but in Mexico. She moved to the United States illegally but forced to by family woes. Grant it, she committed a mistake but she stayed persistent and gained residency by working with all her energy to raise a family she knew would prosper. Although I was born in the US, I grew accustomed to the turbulent ways of undocumented immigrants throughout my whole life. It's a lifestyle that challenges courage, persistence, emotional weaknesses and strengths of any human. As of right now, I do not see any place restricted to any one. I do see my friends becoming excellent students. I see a diverse community breaking apart the banal image of a heterogeneous group with new ideas and new perspectives. I see a person reaching their full potential to help others in need.
-William Octavio Wise


William Octavio Wise,
Art History, Local Activist, MASSO, DAN!



I am a U.S. citizen and a junior at the University of Texas at San Antonio. I am currently studying history and sociology to become a lawyer and I support the DREAM Act.  I am starving for the DREAM Act because I have hope that all the efforts that U.S. citizens, the undocumented, students and professionals alike have done will push this legislation into law.
This action will hopefully get the attention of those who were recently elected who want to pass anti-immigration laws such as one similar to Arizona's SB1070 and harsh border security that will harm honest members of our community. I am hungry for the DREAM Act in order to give those who have worked incredibly hard and paid their way through college an opportunity to use these skills in our society rather than deport them as if they were criminals.

-Maribel Hermosillo
History and Sociology and SWU



I am in support of the DREAM Act because I am a firm believer in equal rights, opportunity, and dignity for all human beings.  When I witness injustice within my community, it is injustice that affects everyone.  I stand here in support today in complete solidarity with my fellow people so that they may have the opportunities they deserve.  I am Adam, and I support the DREAM Act.

-Adam Socki
History and Architecture, Co-Founder of DREAM Act Now!



I am undocumented and unafraid. I moved to this country at the age of 9 with the hopes of having a better future, something that was no longer attainable in my native country of Mexico. Although my roots are planted there, I consider myself an American; an American who believes in justice for all and a chance for equal opportunity. The DREAM exemplifies how this country was founded by immigrants and the cultural melting pot that this nation is. These students have demonstrated that through hard work the American dream is still attainable but whose future is currently halted to a stop due to the lack of proper documentation. DREAM Act will help students be on the path of citizenship and being able to give back to a country that has given them so much.


Pamela Resendiz
Political Science and Latin American Studies, Co-Founder of DREAM Act Now!



Moved to America at the age of 6, was raised in Dallas Texas. I have lived in the U.S for more than 14 years of my life. I need the Dream Act to pass because my community is under attack. Our communities continue to be targeted by the extremist tea party agenda. This is my home and as an undocumented student I will continue to fight for my right to be free. I can't continue to live in the shadows and I refuse to remain silent. My mother brought me to this country to ensure me and my siblings had the opportunity for a better life. I am educated, I have worked hard, and I deserve to feel safe in my own skin. I am undocumented and I am not afraid. All I have to my name is my education and I will fight to have the opportunity to be who I want to become. I am tired of laws based on the criminalization of my people, I am tired of being treated like I don't exist, and I am tired of waiting for someone to decide when I will be allowed to be free and live a normal life.

Lucina Martinez
Women’s Studies and Mexican American Studies, Co-Founder of DREAM Act Now!



Born and raised in the borderlands of the Rio Grande Valley. 21 yrs old. Senior Undergraduate student at the Univeristy of Texas- San Antonio majoring in Political Sciences and Mexican American Studies.  Initiated her social activism work through the mentorship of the Mexican American Studies Student Organization, focusing in local issues concerning with Immigrant rights, social disparity, educational programs, youth leadership, and social justice movements.   Throughout the past decades, DREAMers have been left at the bottom of the of the social spectrum when it comes to being represented in the ordeal of unorganized immigration discussions among our elected officials.  Undocumented children, teens, and young adults who aspire to achieve higher education in order to economically prosper and give back to their communities in this country have their dreams, their goals, their prides, and their self dignity shattered once they are treated and looked at as "criminals" by a country that they proudly call, and is, their home. I am blessed to know that in my life I have met DREAMers who are strong at heart and spirit, and whose life tough experiences have enabled them to build up a strong character that will keep them, us, active in the fight for human-social-educational justice; for we cannot, and we will not, sit around waiting for elected officials to throw around the concept of "We need comprehensive immigration reform" every time they need partisan support, a revival for patriotic sentiments, a need for elevating their own racial pride, economical back up, and political games. 

Martha Quintanilla
Political Science and Mexican American Studies



I’m an undocumented immigrant who is facing deportation, but I’m nobody’s idea of a criminal, social undesirable or drain on the public till. I’m a 23-year-old college graduate from San Antonio who works in a church office. I consider myself self-sufficient and hard-working. I’m bursting with academic and professional ambitions — dreams that I have set aside because my paths to achieve them have all been closed. Immigration lawyers have told me that I have no hope of avoiding expulsion. I can only postpone it. I support the DREAM Act because it would allow so many students with many talents to give back to the country they call home.

Benita Veliz
Biology and Sociology, St. Mary’s




I am documented and I am afraid. The growing feelings of how bad can it actually get in Tejas consumes me internally?  Over the last decade or so I have seen the Dream Act policy move from an education and community service bill to and education and military service bill and now there is talk of a military only option for the Dream Act legislation. Legislators like Senator Hutchison and Senator McCain whom had both previously promised to vote for the Dream Act have said NO to DREAMERS and their futures. They are directly and indirectly connected to the forces in our society solely interested in the profits made from deporting and eradicating more human beings from the U.S. than ever before.

In the last few years the Dream Act movement stopped asking for their futures and took action to demand the liberation of their lives! All over the country youth have done what so many youth throughout history have done; they stand up! I choose to stand in solidarity with the DREAM ACT NOW! Hunger Strike out of blind faith in the healing power of the community. Many of these strikers are on orders of deportation and if enough noise is not made about the dream act now we may not get a shot for another decade. This Dream Deferred cannot be continued to be Denied!

Having tried everything else we understand that given the history of capitalism in this world these economic shocks and traumas are not going end.  We are constantly going to have to resist and in order to be successful. As gente on the ground level of this low intensity immigration industrial complex we have an immediate need to think long term. Not only are we advocating for the Dream Act Now but we would like the state of Tejas and all other communities willing to ride and die for their communities to be proactive about the huge amounts of new anti-immigrant legislation proposals already being introduced at the local, county, and state levels of government. Although we are told that this is just naturally what happens when a community experiences a demographics shift from majority white to majority of people of color.  Often times there is an unleashing of energy that manifests as violence and bloodshed. 

Our hunger strike for many of us is the beginning and the end of a spiritual path that has been laid before us. This cleansing of our bodies and coming together as 1 heart 1 mind will better prepare us for whatever the future may bring to try to increase the suffering of peoples. Given the outcome of last tuesday's elections I just couldn't sit around and allow that the more things change the more they stay the same! Please take action with me on the dream act immedietely...The Time is NOW!!!

Felipe Vargas
History, Philosophy and Education Policy Studies
Indiana University

 


I consider myself an activist and a fighter for human rights. I am willing to go on a hunger strike to support the DREAM Act because the time to pass it is now. We as students need to stand up for what is right and demand justice for our fellow classmates.


Julio Lopez
Anthropology and Mexican American Studies

 

I am a member of M-CLASS. I am willing to fight and defend my community and I support the DREAM Act. These students need the DREAM Act NOW more than ever. We cannot have another lost generation of DREAMers who are unable to fulfill their dreams of being part of this country.

Marcos J. Hernández

Political Science and Spanish



I am a Mexican American Studies major who believes in justice and in equality. The DREAM Act affects my community and the way human beings are being treated. I believe that no human being is illegal and I’m willing to go on a hunger strike to urge the San Antonio Community as well as the students at UTSA to join us in solidarity for the rights of all.

Luis Valades
Mexican American Studies

I am a student at UTSA and I support the DREAM Act. My heart is in this cause that would benefit my student colleagues who are trying to obtain a higher education in the hopes of giving back to the nation they call home. The DREAM Act would not only benefit these hard working students who have demonstrated the character to attend institutions of higher learning but as well as the community and the economy.


Jahne Campbell
Philosophy Major


I consider myself a social activist who has been involved in the fight for social justice from a very young age. I was involved in the San Antonio solidarity action against SB 1070/2281.  I believe in the DREAM Act because it will benefit the youth of our society who are vital to the promotion of social change that we have been waiting for. These students are discriminated against and need to see the support of a community that must stand together against chauvinistic laws and oppression.  I only hope that our humble actions encourage and inspire other dreamers in the world, especially the younger generation to stand up and say they are not afraid!






Yasmina Codina,
Anthropology and Mexican American Studies 

 

I have been very involved in the community and I consider myself an activist. I stand in complete solidarity with these students and I believe that Senator Hutchison must immediately support the DREAM Act. I will continue to be involved in immigration reform until every human being receives justice.

Zuriel Morales,

Bachelor’s in Biology

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog ( bernadinefeagins@yahoo.com). If I can help in anyway please email me and check out my girl power radio show at www.blogtalkradio.com/girlpower !

    ReplyDelete