|Angela Davis in San Antonio, TX standing in solidarity with Dream Act NOW! Hunger Strikers.|
Some tips for fasters from “Fasting and Eating for Health”
by Joel Fuhrman, M.D.
● We are not starving! This is an inherently different act that allows us to
recharge ourselves physically and spiritually. Don't be worried, as a thin
individual can fast for approximately 40 days without showing signs of
● Fasting helps your body heal; not only are we making a symbolic
statement for the Dream Act, but it will help us recover from our usual diets
and lifestyles; it's a win-win situation!
● Because of our rich diet, we might have withdrawal symptoms such as
headaches, extreme fatigue; but you will feel better very quickly, with most
of the symptoms becoming non-existent after 2 days.
● Blood test must be done weekly. You should also do a blood test right
before you start to ensure no kidney or liver issues because your blood
pressure will drop.
● No drugs! Both pharmaceutical and narcotics; check with the doctor if you
are taking prescriptions.
● Due to low blood pressure, refrain from standing up fast or getting excited.
● You will feel colder than usual, so bring extra blankets or sleeping bags.
● During and initially after the fast, no chlorinated tap water; try to drink spring water.
● No sunbathing, hot baths; you can walk around a bit, but no strenuous
● You will require less sleep, but rest through the night.
● Only side-effects will come from detoxifying yourself. One possible
scenario is that you might become light-headed and possibly faint -- can be
avoided with precautions.
● About 1 out of 20 fasters vomit, but it happens because they are
dehydrated. Drink at least a quart of water a day no matter what even if
you don’t feel like it.
● Must break fast slowly: usually one half of an orange or piece of
watermelon size of a small fist. Introduce foods slowly as your digestive
system has been on a long break.
● No pineapple or any fermented food. No under and overripe food
immediately after a fast. No dried herbs or spices added; no slightly rotten
food; no dry foods like baked potatoes, grains or dried fruits. EAT HIGH
WATER CONTENT FOOD.